Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I Never Meant To Cause You Any Sorrow

Warning: Self-aggrandizing anecdote to follow.

I know everyone is probably more interested in the Tay story over at capstar, but I have one of my own. It involves a huge burn I had on him in Lit today. This is a big deal; I only get 3 or 4 of them a week.

So the entire class is working quietly on some thesis statements or whatever when Tay loudly announces some unsolicitated opinion. Logan gave a smart-ass reply, prompting Tay say, roughly: Blah blah blahddy blah blah You say po-tay-toe, I say po-tah-toe Blah blah blah.

He quickly turned his aim onto Hewitt, asking a few HILARIOUSLY rhetorical questions, then pausing to laugh at his own cleverness. I chose (if you don't mind me saying) the perfect moment to inject this little comment, in an exasperated tone, just loud enough to be heard clearly.

Me: Tay, here's an idea. I say po-tay-toe, and then you don't say anything at all.

It brought down the house. Laughter and applause from all corners. Seriously, people were clapping. Shouting in the streets, dancing on Goliath's grave. You get the picture. Hewitt actually told me to "stop being so funny." Then, everyone sort of quieted down, even Tay, and we had a peaceful rest of the hour.

And that's why Max deserves BOTH Most Likely to Succeed AND Quickest Wit.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

i just learned what self-aggrandizement meant last week

 
At 9:54 PM, May 03, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Me too. High five for Art History knowledge.

 
At 12:02 AM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Tom said...

high five for art.

 
At 8:29 AM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Erik said...

That was the burn of kings Max! I bow.

 
At 11:40 AM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Graham said...

i only got "most opinionated"... i was offended.

 
At 2:37 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

If JM hadn't already earned this award for every class throughout the rest of time, I would say you get the pompous asshole award.

 
At 8:41 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

that's not how sidekicks are supposed to talk, fatty

 
At 10:18 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Sam, Mattson may be more of an asshole, but Tay is the definition of pompous.

Yeah Graham, maya just got most opinionated too. What a loser...

 
At 10:38 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

Sweet. Graham and Maya, you guys have one more thing in common with Tay! Doesn't that make you feel better?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home