Thursday, May 04, 2006

Mohammed Superstar

So I was singing with Josiah at tennis today (because that's what we Brainerd Warriors do at tennis meets: we sing), and lil' Will Henningson asked us what we're singing. "Why, Jesus Christ Superstar," we replied. Will gave us a "Whaaaaaaaa?!?" look, and his incredulity only increased as we explained that is was a rock-opera about the last days of Jesus Christ. I sang a few parts (okay, a lot of them), and he had nothing to do but laugh. He asked us if it was a comedy, and I told him "No, it's a tragedy. He DIES in the end."

He honestly thought we were joking. To him, it was absolutely inconcievable that Jesus could ever be anything as accesible and trivial as a subject for a musical. His hard-wired Christian mind was blown by the idea. He couldn't see how anyone would have the gall to play Jesus Christ in any setting other than "The Passion of the Christ," much less a rock-opera.

My aunt (a rehersal pianist for the CLC production) had described this "reverse generation gap" to me before, but I had never really seen it in action. Perhaps Will is just an exceptionally devout young man, but I worry that this is a wider trend. Jesus becomes too remote, too untouchable, and pretty soon he's our Mohammed and we're banning political cartoons. Ugh.

So everybody just listen to some JC Superstar and keep an open mind, okay? Okay.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, May 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about... There's enough humour about JC in popular culture that if there were a sect of radical chistians out to revenge all slanderers, I think the world would know by now...

 
At 12:31 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Amelia said...

HOSANNA SUPERSTAR

If you come to may day, I'll loan you the old school version. It's so cool, SOOOOOOO cool.

In the past week I have heard like five people say "I'll borrow that to you." Granted I go to a crappy state school, but still college kids should know the difference of loan and borrow.

 
At 10:47 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

I'm more of a "Godspell" guy myself.

 
At 10:45 PM, May 07, 2006, Blogger sherlock said...

I just saw JC Superstar on Saturday, at the Alumni performance with my aunt. Besides drifting in and out of sleep during the first act (not at all the actors' fault) I REALLY liked it.

I'm pretty sure the next school play should have a score written by andrew lloyd webber.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home