Sunday, September 03, 2006

Don't Kill The Dream; Execute It

I seem to have become an unwilling participant in a competition with myself to see how late I can stay up in the last few nights before school starts. The past threee nights I've gone to bed at 3, 3, and 2 a.m.While they were all for a good reason (Arrested Development, Arrested Development, and the Josh Mattson Farewell Circle Jerk, respectively), I really do think I should quit this silly contest with myself, declare victory for both me and myself, and do my best to adjust to a 6:45 wake-up time by wednesday morning. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

Sam Walker: Get your own damn blog. Or join WTITYB. Or just quit not blogging altogether.I just think your presence here is doing you, and us, more bad than good. Move on. Run free in the blogosphere. Really, you could just become our blogging circle's own personal troll and comment flame your way into the history books.

I saw "The Hole Story" in Jenkins yesterday. It was terribly funny, but it carried quite a bit of dramatic weight and pathos as well. My lingering suspicion that there is something inherently funny and intrinsically poignant about a solitary man in a furry hat standing on a windswept froze lake (Props to Tay for giving me the "inherently...intrinsically..." structure from his The Passionate Shepherd To His Love essay. I think his exact phrase was "...if love is inherently philanthropic, or intrsically altruistic..."That got some giggles.) The biggest negative: Mr. and Mrs. Paul Melby were also in the theater, so I had to worry about that in the back of my head. Afterwards we met the filmmaker ( a nice young man bearing a strong resemblance to a young Bob Dylan) and purchased a signed DVD, but only after Mrs. Melby had purchased five DVDs, each signed to a different child/nephew.

I've been thinking about psychology as a possible subject of study in college, which has in turn led to me to consider dropping macroecon in favor of AP psych second semester. Would I want to do psych independent study or something?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, September 03, 2006, Blogger Tay said...

max, you pose an inherently tough quandry that many must intrinsically face (ok, i sort of jammed that one through). but serious, you can't drop macroecon if you are taking micro in the fall. that is just inherently dumb and intriscally a bad idea (that one was better). however, even though i hated psych, it is probably the best ap you can take in terms of the actual turn around garnered from the test. first off, it is probably the easiest test to get a five on (besides, maybe, european history. i mean, seriously, i read the princeton review for the test and got a five. but even then i had to pull knowledge from art history and whatnot). i had no frucking (new word) clue what i was doing on that test and still got a five. my last sentence on my essay was "and i don't like hypnosis because its stupid." yeah. 5.

however, here is the other thing. i had lashomb for psych and stark for econ, and as you know neither are teaching currently. neither class had like any homework, so i could tell you they aren't any work, but who knows. i mean peterson is reported to be a hard-ass, and i guess this new econ teacher could take down a bull elephant with his bare hands. so who knows how they will run the class (except maybe the psych kids from last year).

but the bottom line is, max, try to take both. i don't know how much more work the teachers could create for the classes. so if you have to drop like a baking class it would be worth it. i don't know what your schedule is (i suppose i could probably find it burried in the archives) but try to take both. i would strongly discourage taking indy of either (take indy anything else if you have to) but work with the councilors there and see if you can take both.

basically that was for what it was worth. i have a lot of time on my hands.

 
At 1:50 PM, September 03, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Tay, Frucking is NOT a new word. Max, and anyone else who has listened to the Nuclear Balloon Arrows' song "What The Fruc?", can back me up on that.

 
At 3:49 PM, September 03, 2006, Blogger Kara said...

I'll let Tay give you the rundown on the class (or whatever he did, because I took a look at that and decided not to read it); basically, what I know is, Peterson teaches it (I have no idea if he allows Independents) and it's only offered first semester 4th and 6th hours.

:)

 
At 3:57 PM, September 03, 2006, Blogger sherlock said...

I also bought "The Hole Story" when it played last night in the Little Theater. Audra Albrecht called me to ask if I would sell tickets, so after selling tickets, I was offerred a DVD for free, but NAY, I declined in favor of rewarding such comic genius, and Alex's mysterious ability to make the local folk of Brainerd, MN seem like kindly woodspeople rather than hicks.

 
At 4:20 PM, September 03, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Yeah, fruc's been done.

I don't have a baking class, believe it or not, nor am I taking "foods" or "living on your own." right now I have band and 5 aps (german, lang, calc, econ, physics).

Maybe linda can help me.

 
At 6:08 PM, September 03, 2006, Blogger Pammy said...

psychs easy, take it

 
At 6:45 PM, September 03, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

hey pammy you blogged!

 
At 3:11 PM, September 04, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

No matter your problem, Linda can help you.

Psych is definitely worth it. I'd say I tend to use information I learned in that class most, excepting of course situations that immediately demand knowledge of a previous AP class (i.e. when doing BC Calc).

On the other hand, I did win an all-expense-paid trip to NYC from AP Macroeconomics.

I don't know what to tell ya. You could take Psych then Macro, and if you understood Macro well enough, try and cram Micro in before the test (Econs are the last ones given). I enjoyed Psych more than Macro for sure, but that's probably because of La Shomb, or, as his name translates into French, "the Shomb."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home