Tuesday, September 19, 2006

National Merit Public Forum

So my college application essays were all a little too personal to post on the blog, but I think my NM essay would benefit from some public feedback. First draft slammed out tonight, keep that in mind. I'm looking to beef up that intro of mine, as right now it is one short sentence. Any good creativity quotes?
Prompt: "In your own words, describe your personal characteristics, accomplishemnts, primary interests, plans, and goals. What sets you apart?" About 500 words, it's 484 right now.

My creativity is my most important, most unique character trait.
My creativity has contributed to what I consider my most important accomplishments. I have succeeded academically and tested well, but undertakings from which I derive the most satisfaction have all been creative ventures. I take great pride in my first place essay in the school district writing contest. While it was an academic paper, I feel that I wrote it in my own unique voice. I worked to take common observations from a piece of literature and make something entirely my own, something special, with new connections expressed in new ways. I try to do similar things with my blog, but with observations drawn from my life instead of literature. A blog, short for web log, is a personal website which the user can update regularly. I treat my blog as a sort of public diary where, at the end of each day, I can write about my thoughts and ideas. My blog is very popular among my friends and I work to keep it that way, doing my best to post something new and interesting every day. My creative activities are not limited to literary pursuits; I also enjoy making short films and organizing community treasure hunts. The treasure hunts were a new phenomenon this year. I worked with some friends to create a series of riddles that led teams through town. We had to find just the right combination of clever clues and unique locations, and I feel we succeeded in interesting and exciting the participants. I was very pleased with this positive reaction to something I made.
This creative drive has also shaped my interests and aspirations. I am not certain which field I wish to study in, much less which career path I will take, but I do know that I want to be able to create for a living. I imagine my career will involve writing, either as an academic, an essayist, or a journalist. Other artistic pursuits also interest me, in particular the creation of public and performance art designed to reach a wide audience. I’ve always enjoyed seeing how an insightful, often ironic presentation of everyday objects or actions can give a new perspective on our culture and, in some small way, change how people see the world.
My plans and goals for the future are still uncertain, but I am confident my imaginative side will influence them. I hope to learn more about myself, the sources of my inspiration, and the direction they are pointing me in. I hope to learn more about my culture and heritage and their influence on my worldview. I plan to take all the parts of my world that interest me the most and synthesize them into something unique. Ultimately, I hope to create something entirely new, a story or a theory or an idea that I can call my own.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, September 20, 2006, Blogger J0hn said...

It seems to me that your first few sentences don't connect together as nicely as they could. I understand the parallelism that is occurring there, but maybe combine a few of them to create a little more hustle and flow.

That's more of a style point, so its really more of a personal decision, but I like my readings to be... legato.

PS
If you want to throw NM a real curve ball, end it like this instead.
Ultimately, I hope to create something entirely new, a story or a theory or an idea or a sexual position that I can call my own.

 
At 1:20 AM, September 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In an essay about your unique creativity, you need to showcase some creativity. Include specific details. Don't just say that your district essay was creative; show specifically what made it so. Don't just say "My blog is interesting"; give specific examples to prove it.
Anyone can claim to be creative, but unless you give specific evidence, then it is just that--a claim.

 
At 12:36 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger jobble said...

yeah, give a specific sexual position

 
At 4:48 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger hannah said...

i only skimmed it because i'm an asshole but you use the word "creative" in the first three sentences. BEEEEP.

and also, don't define blog for northwestern. they're northwestern. they'll figure it out.

 
At 7:13 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Man I should have just said that by biggest strength is my ability to write stodgy boring essays.

Seriously though, should I define blog? Should I just call it a website? NM (it is National merit hannah, not NW) seems reasonably cool, but what if my reader is over like, 34 years old? I'd be screwed.

 
At 7:13 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Aaaand still lookin to beef up that intro...

 
At 9:33 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

i thought i commented, but i guess something screwed up. here's a synopsis:

you use the word "feel" twice. I'd avoid that.

don't define blog.

use more hustle and flow. your writing seemed rather formulaic and dead, like something I'd write for Lang. switch up your sentence structure like you did in that essay you posted about your creative process/writing style.

 
At 10:36 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

if you want me to edit it later, just email it and i'd be happy to oblige. unless you're sick of me sticking my nose into all your essay-writing bidness.

 
At 11:10 PM, September 20, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

I'll take out the bloggish definition, and sorry sis I gotta turn this beast in tommorow I think.

Yeah houle I realize this thang is stilted and unnatural for me, but I'm just not sure the good folks down at NM would appreciate my own personal brand of sarcastic free-association.

 
At 11:07 AM, September 21, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

just act like you don't care.

 
At 3:57 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

The thing is I do, and I have a feeling that while we may love the nihlist slacker persona, colleges probably are in the market for more caring individuals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home