Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Prophecy Has Been Fulfilled

I saw The Prestige last night. It was a reasonably good movie about rival magicians. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman were intense, Scarlett Johannson was pretty, and Micheal Caine did a very good job as the character he always is.

But what made the movie specila for me was the two reasonably magical events I witnessed during the show. First, a little backgroud info on the first mystical happening: earlier in the evening, Sam, Josh, and I had been trying to decide what design to use for a jack-o-lantern. Josh suggested David Bowie as Aladdin Sain. After some feeble attempts to simplify the design down to something we could carve into a pumpkin, we gave up; still, I had Bowie on the brain.

So a ways into the movie, we're about to be introduced to Nikola Tesla, Serb-American mad scientist, and I'm thinking "You know what would be hilarious, if they got David Fucking Bowie to play crazy old Tesla." I turned to Josh and whispered "With David Bowie as Tesla."

Josh replied "Yeah," and I thought he was just confirming how sweet that would be. But then Tesla walks out, with all the lightning bolts a-cracklin', and I'm like "Wait, is that seriously David Bowie?" And it was him, mismatched pupils and all. Fuckin' wweeeeeiiirrdd.

Coincidence #2 was not quite as odd, but still pretty special. I had been thirsty pretty much the whole movie, but not wanting to miss anything I'd avoided leaving to get a drink. Eventually I picked a boring-looking scene and walked briskly up the aisle. I stepped outside just as a darkly-clad, short-haired, dourly-bespectacled young hipster swept past.

Yes, it was our own Chris Derby, sworn enemy of Josh Mattson, D.J. Sensitron to his Hamline listeners, walking mere feet away from me. My exit had been perfectly timed to allow me maximum Derby viewing time, while keeping me safely out of his sightlines.


Further conincidence: Tesla suffered from synesthesia, a neurological condition we had been discussing earlier that evening. Hell, I'll bet Bowie had it too.

P.S. Pammy, after Chris replaced my background with a menacing picture of G. G. (is there any other kind?), I needed something to replace it with. I decided on this picture:

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

Tesla was pretty sweet.

 
At 2:16 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

max, as adorable as your puppies are, do we really need two pictures of them?

 
At 8:05 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Two pictures? What are you talking about Jason?

(Oh I do love changing posts to make readers look foolish! Ha tee ta tee ta!)

 
At 8:22 PM, October 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dj sensitron??

eek. is there a way that i am able to go and listen to derbys show. aka a site or whatnot? and if so what day???

 
At 8:27 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

Max, it was definitely better than a "reasonably good movie."

I decided I want to shift my lifes' focus to Tesla Scholarship. Although a few hours later I decided to become a film-maker (unrelated to The Prestige), so I guess I'll have to be some sort of maker of symbolic architectural tesla films.

 
At 8:49 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Sam, "Tesla scholar" is just another word for "paranormalist." which is another word for "loony toon."

That said, I think my uncle probably gave me a few whack tesla books if you want them.

What sort of films are you going to make? Troffler Snuff films, where you troffle some machinery, then destroy it with an EMP?

 
At 7:31 AM, October 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, assuming you read my blog, you already knew David Bowie was in the film. Now, I never mentioned that he was Tesla, but still...
What I'm saying is that that particular coincidence is not entirely cosmic.

 
At 10:42 AM, October 30, 2006, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

i'd say it's an instance of unconscious conditioning.

 
At 3:20 PM, October 30, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

Yeah but I want to be a legitimate Tesla Scholar.






...and discover his SEKKRETZ.

 
At 6:44 PM, October 30, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

i'd say it's an instance of maya being stupid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home