Sunday, November 12, 2006

Opportunity Cost's A Bitch, Ain't It?

When I walked through Gregory Park on my way to my grandma's house at about 5 p.m., things were looking ugly. No leaves, no sun, no snow, everything grey and mushy. Comfort Eagle rattled in my ears as I thought "Max, keep this in your mind. This is just about as bad as the middle of Gregory will get. Remember it so you can compare it to a beautiful snowy Gregory, or a bright blue sunny Gregory."

Three hours later I walked by the same spot. Only a couple things had changed (the Cake album [Prolonging the Magic] and the number of pugs [I was down to one]), but combined with the gentle snowfall and the orange streetlamp lighting, they made a world of difference. Walking through falling snow at night is one of my favorite activities (screw the beach), and Thor picked just the right weather to give me a little pick-me-up on a Sunday evening.

I have a feeling this is going to be a good week.

Treasure Hunt brainstorm: teams are blindfolded and driven to somewhere in Brainerd. They must find their way, on foot, to a nearby landmark.


WEEKEND PLANS: I drive down with Sam (Friday afternoon/eveing or Saturday morning), curse Capelle for coming a weekend early, I guess maybe stay with Josh (could I dude?), attend the Iowa-Gophers game (utilizing the extra ticket of Mr. John Valesano [Quick aside here: It has been unbelievably sweet to be able to go to all of these football games for free. I've spent the more getting into Warriors games this year than I have getting into Gophers games...and I'm in the band. Seriously though, thank you Pammy, Gracia, and John {and Josh and Amelia for letting me crash}], perhaps hit the MIA somewhere in there, and probably come back to B-town by Saturday night.

Why no second night, you ask? Why, because this Sunday is November 19th, otherwise known as the WII LAUNCH DATE SPECTACULAR. All sources point to Minneapolis being a much harder place than Brainerd in which to find a Wii. By "all sources," I mean Sam Walker's intuition, a tip in Time magazine, and the wiiseeker, according to which Brainerd will have approx. 173 Wii's available (96 of those at Best Buy). I have a feeling that this supply will more than fulfill the demand of Brainerd residents (I mean, there's only one Logan Mohs, after all), whereas the Twin Cities probably contain enough geeks to snatch up every available Wii by about 8:24 a.m. on Sunday morning. Thus, it would behoove me to be in the hub-city on Sunday morning. Hell, I'd even purchase a Wii for a desperate, lazy Minneapolisite or two, provided they were to provide me with the moolah, and Best Buy allows multiple purchases per person, and they had some way of getting it back to Minneapolis.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, November 12, 2006, Blogger Amelia said...

well, i'm working all day on saturday, so you should stop by for some backdoor action!

btw, what's a wii?

 
At 12:10 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Tay said...

that sounds pretty awesome as far as the th.

 
At 12:21 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

Your plans are not jiving with mine.

I was actually planning on checking out the MIA too, to se the new wing. However, I don't want to leave saturday. Is your wii really more important than your friends, Max? (And in this case, "your friends" means "your friends' plans.") I bet you'll have no problems obtaining a Wii in Brainerd later in the day, or even the next day. While we both are duly excited about it, you ave to realize that, as Amelia's response indicates, it's just not going to be that hot of a launch item. Nintendo hasn't really done any advertising for it all, so th eonly market on launch day is going to be gaming nerds with Nintendo loyalty. You could even have one of your parents stop by on Sunday morning to pick one up for you.

 
At 12:27 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

i second that.

 
At 1:33 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

yeah you can stay

 
At 1:34 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Erik said...

But the Nintendo Wii WAS featured prominently in the last two episodes of South Park. Demand up!

 
At 5:15 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger jobble said...

yeah I say it will be in brainerd not a whole day and I got a 3 on the AP econ exam so.

 
At 6:50 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger the dain train said...

sign up for treasure hunt on treasure hunt blog.

 
At 9:24 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Comrade_Bazarov said...

planning to squander money on Worthlessly Irregular Imp, eh?
I would recommend the Pig Snout 3 instead.

 
At 10:19 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Oh man you wanna talk about squandering money, try $600 for the system and $70 for games that will play in only one console.

 
At 10:14 AM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Comrade_Bazarov said...

I know. i admire the WII for its tech.
i just thought the acronyms i came up with were neat, thats all.

 
At 2:47 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger Comrade_Bazarov said...

just in case you're wondering, Adam smith is scottish
checked it out just now on wikipedia

 
At 5:14 PM, November 14, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Boo yah grand ma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home