Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Potpurri...Or Popery?

I decided to move all my other random blog stuff to this post to avoid cluttering up the previous post. So:

1. You Know Who--You Know What at the You Know Where will work better for me tommorow (wednesday) as I work on thursday.

2. Because my grandmother has decided that my hair is "just perfect" at its current length, I'm going to get my grad pictures pretty soon here. I don't really care about them for the most part, but I have decided that I want one of them to be me, wearing a Fleet Farm shirt and a cowboy hat, astride a tractor. Does anyone know of a tractor I could use? A four wheeler could work in a pinch, but I think the proud farm-boy vibe I'm going for would be best transmitted by a big silly tractor.

3. I've posted here before about how much better my new job (hosting at Lost Lake Lodge) is than my last job (dishwashing at the aforementioned restaurant), but lately I've been having second thoughts. Hosting doesn't involve scrubbing or mopping or garbage hauling, but work in the "front of the house" lacks some of the comradery of the kitchen. We were like soldiers, fighting in the loud, hot trenches; we had a real Band Of Brothers thing going on. It was the sort of thing where you would seriously consider getting t-shirts to commemorate your experiences together.

4. Because I, unlike some of our lazier former teachers, am committed to self-improvment, I will spend my summer in deep study of fine literature, not wasting my time on movies.

Summer Reading List:
The Door In The Floor
The Great Gatsby
Memoirs Of A Geisha
A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius (imagine this one has a slash through it.)[Now it does! -Ed.]

That's all I've got so far. Any suggestions?

5. All you knowledg-a-bowl persons: where should Max go to college?

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, June 20, 2006, Blogger keuber said...

i have a response to number 3:

work at meyers. it's the best job ever!

 
At 10:37 AM, June 21, 2006, Blogger 3_the_hard_way said...

Read Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs, that should last you awhile.

 
At 1:43 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

Hahahaha William S. Burroughs.

Max, you can cross stuff out with the html strike tag.

I assume, based on your use of the phrase "knowledg-a-bowl" that you are choosing a school based solely on the strength of their knowledge/quizbowl team. In which case, you will be pleased to know that the excellent public-access show "High School Challenge" is filmed at Concordia College. I can only assume their indergraduate-level program is equally top-notch.

I could find you plenty of tractors in Rothsay, MN, but in Brainerd you could probably find one at This Old Farm, or else sitting outside a John Deere dealership.

 
At 3:12 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger Amelia said...

read midnight's children by salman rushdie

 
At 7:05 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Max three words- National American University

 
At 11:16 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

4. Catcher in the Rye. Or you could read Doctor Zhivago and then tell me what it's about, because I'm 370 pages in and still have no clue.

5. Dartmouth College.

 
At 11:21 PM, June 21, 2006, Blogger 3_the_hard_way said...

Whats wrong with Burroughs, Sam? Does a little drug induced literature not spark your interests or is your weak constitution unable to comprehend the genius of Naked Lunch?

 
At 1:25 AM, June 22, 2006, Blogger CoachDub said...

Or you could read great novels AND watch great movies, instead of just limiting yourself to one form. (Just because one does not blog about it does not mean one does not do it.)

 
At 1:27 AM, June 22, 2006, Blogger CoachDub said...

By the way, The Door in the Floor is not a book. It is a movie based on the first third of the novel A Widow for One Year.

Just so you know.

 
At 1:20 AM, June 24, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Jeese, a little shot at wanninger and he gets all snippy...how exciting!

And what makes you think I was talking about you?

 
At 4:11 AM, June 24, 2006, Blogger CoachDub said...

Whenever anyone says the word "snippy," I think of one of my favorite lines from Fargo: "You have no call to get snippy with me. I'm just doing my job."

This line is followed a few minutes later by William H. Macy saying, "Ah, what the Christ!"

 
At 8:44 PM, June 24, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

My favorites--
"I'm going to have to question your police work there, Lou."

"Total. Fucking. Silence."

"I think I got the best one!"

and yes, the last one is from Raising Arizona. I couldn't resist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home