Wednesday, July 05, 2006

GBTH III: Riddles In The Dark

In the spirit of the 4th of July and all those guys that did all that great stuff all that time ago, I spent the past couple of days making a flag pole. I know, after all, that all those fellas really cared about the flag. Old Glory, Old Ironsides, The Star Spangled heart of our great nation!

However, in a delightfully subversive touch, I'm not going to use this flag pole to fly the Stars and Stripes. Rather, it will be the perfect venue to display my full-size Jolly Roger (a Christmas gift from my cousins, purchased in Seattle). Hey, at least it's not a Confederate flag. I'll never understand why people own those, but I'm doubly perplexed as to why they would fly them on the 4th of July. Um, go slavery?

Anyways, I made this sweet flag pole out of PVC pipe, two nuts and two bolts, and some flag clips, all available at your friendly neighborhood Fleet Farm. The 8 foot length is pretty optimal for its use as a standard when leading troops into battle, and it's a convienient length for majestic waving, but mostly it's the longest the pole could be and still fit in my van for the trip to Canada. See, this beast is going to be planted at our campsite at the Winnipeg Folk Festival.

My personal touch was the capital (is that what you call the thing atop the pole?). I searched my room for something appropriately cool and pirate-themed, and came across a decapitated bust of Wagner and a perfectly-proportioned glow-in-the-dark skull: it was totally a sign so I heeded it. Half a hot glue stick later, I was in business.

Treasure Hunt: I think Riddles In The Dark would be a good subtitle for this one. How about a 10 pm start time, and the clues' time limits would total to less that three hours so we'd be all done by 1 pm and avoid the drunks? I think it would be kind of cool to start at dusk and be hurrying before all the light fades...
Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

Surely you mean 1 am? Why not start it at 9 and make it four hours?

 
At 5:28 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger Tay said...

either way, i think it is a good idea (but you knew that, considering i was the one that gave it to you). but i think you should definately try to make the treasure hunt asap. jason and i are thinking 28th, actually, it will be almost definately the 28th, so it would be great if we had as much space between the two as possible. anyway, we should start posting on the treasure hunt blog.

 
At 7:16 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

Obviously Max, you need to inconvenience yourself in order to provide as much convenience for Tay and his plans which he didn't bother consulting with anyone before making as possible.

Also: please refrain from using the phrase "delightfully subversive" in the future. Thank you.

 
At 7:23 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Sam, please refrain from using the word "surely" in the future. Thank you.

And I think 3 hours would be a good tight time for a hunt, especially at night. And which idea did you give me tay?

 
At 8:52 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger Tay said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:53 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger Tay said...

the whole having it at night thing. but it really is neither here nor there, i was just giving you crap and hope you do it, it sounds like fun. black light clues could be very interesting.

and sam, max posted earlier "I generally work thursday, friday, and sunday, anywhere July 17-19 or 24-26 works great for me." so i was referring to having it in the 17-19 catagory, rather than the 24-26, because i don't think people would want to do two treasure hunts two days apart. jason and i can't do it earlier because of other committments (like me being gone for a week in late july, etc.) and therefore would appreciate very much for max and pammy to do theirs (which we long very much forward to) as early as they can, so as to have as much time inbetween them as possible.

 
At 10:55 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger sherlock said...

max,
WTF?
what about Ace Hardware, you dirty son of a b.
just kidding, I'll forgive you-
As long as it was on a day I wasn't there

Pirates rule, I just Pirates of the Carribean II and I purchased an armband bearing "Shiver Me Timbers" at Hot Topic just for the occasion

 
At 1:26 AM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

What's up with verbs here? tay starts off with "we long very much forward to," then Cameron justs drops his right out with "I just Pirates of the Carribean II."

C'mon guys. Verb: it's what you do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home