Thursday, October 12, 2006

Who Watches The Watchmen?




I know it's been a while since I rapped with ya, but the shit's been raining down and I just don't have a shit-shovel big enough to get rid of it.

Seriously though, I was unable to blog yesterday because I was reading Watchmen. Man, Watchmen was sweet. I'm very glad the Brainerd Public Library has a copy.

For those who don't know: Watchmen is a graphic novel, ostenably about superheroes but also about power and justice and mortality and morality and time, written by this man (see right), Alan Moore. He's pretty crazy. BUT, he also writes great stuff. It's got all sorts of great allusions and clever and powerful imagary, both in the words and in the pictures. There are stories within stories, great characters, tons of layers, and so many complex connections that I might just have to read it all again to really grasp it.

Seriously, I started Watchmen yesterday after school and I finished it at about 5 this evening. That's some hardcore reading action.

I'm thinking that "The Watchmen" would be a pretty good KB team name. We could each pick a character, or more accurately, be assigned on by me, right now. Sam Walker is Rorschach (duh), James Voelker can be The Comedien, Kara will be The Silk Spectre, Logan is Ozymandias, and I'll round that group out as Dr. Manhattan.

Apparently, there was a Watchmen movie being prepared, but it's been put on hold. Damn shame, that. I'd see it. I think the script was written by David Hayter, the same guy who wrote at least one of the X-Men movies and, more importantly, provides the voice of Solid Snake (see left) in the Metal Gear Solid video game series. It's a small world after all.

P.S.:

Labels:

16 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

my PS won't show up for some reason, so here it is:

P.S.: This guy is josiah's hero, or at least he should be.

 
At 10:39 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Kara said...

Okay. I know I haven't read the novel, but I went over to Wikipedia to check up on the story line. All I can say is that it's really scary about these characters; eerie is probably a good word for it.

It does sound interesting. Brainerd Library did you say?

 
At 10:43 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger keuber said...

please
don't
step
on
the
grass.

 
At 10:56 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Kara-Please explain? Eerie how? Did you write a similar book independently?

 
At 11:55 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Kara said...

I thought that the characters fit the personalities a little too well. But maybe that was just my take on it.

If anything, I thought mine was the most out of place, but even then it kind of fit. I don't know; I'm exhausted. Maybe I'm just hallucinating everything.

 
At 11:58 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger jobble said...

max are you serious? I brought the vitas video to brainerd like a week ago and downloaded his cd like 5 days ago. So actually you didn't know that so good call. I have pretty much been listening to him and Jolin Tsai this whole week

 
At 12:19 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Sara Ann said...

The guy in the front looks like the invisible man...

 
At 12:20 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

Dude, what's with the gills?

 
At 10:31 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

told ya

 
At 10:31 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

next up: sandman

 
At 6:03 PM, October 13, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Let fly the balloons, arm the confetti cannon!

30,000 hits!

Huzzah!

 
At 12:53 AM, October 14, 2006, Blogger J0hn said...

Josh:
You have admitted to hating Gaiman screenplays.

 
At 1:04 AM, October 14, 2006, Blogger J0hn said...

david hayter's imdb profile is one of my bookmarks in the folder "good shit"

 
At 8:44 PM, October 14, 2006, Blogger Tay said...

no kidding kara, it was creepy reading the overviews of the characters:

james: has shown himself to be a nihilist with little regard for morality or human life.

sam: He has alienated himself from the rest of society to achieve these aims. He is left-handed.

logan: found to be incredibly intelligent at a young age... he consumed a ball of hashish and decided to become a superhero.

kara: liberal-thinking and a "modern" woman, she is vocal in her feminist and humanitarian concerns and is quite a conditioned fighter.

max: he grew increasingly uninterested in human affairs, despite his importance in the Cold War, and was unable to connect with others, especially his love interest.

i'd run with that.

 
At 1:08 PM, October 15, 2006, Blogger keuber said...

are we dead yet?

 
At 9:02 PM, October 15, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Damnit we have tay's approval. We'll have to go with something else.

Team Tay Sucks, anyone?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home