Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Funk Of 40 Million Years

I have a real introspective post about art a-brewin', but for all your sakes I think I'm going to punch it up a little bit before I post it here. Unmitigated whining may be the norm on other blogs; not here on the Manly Mustaches! No, we carefully mitigate all pissing & moaning with a careful blend of sarcasm and amusing polls.


So...Mr. Lade tells me he has a high school classmate who got a doctorate in art history from Princeton. His name is Gary Vikan, he runs a museum in Baltimore, and while my discouraging discussions with knowledgable persons have made me very skeptical as to the influence anybody can have on admissions decisions at Princeton, he might be able to help me out.

So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Now then:
Three Reasons To Like Gary Vikan

1. He's friends with Stu Lade.
2. On April 17, 2003, he announced his resignation from the U.S. Presidential Advisory Committee On Cultural Property in protest of the U.S. failure to prevent looting of the Iraqi National Museum.
3. This picture (Gary's on the right):
A double-breasted suit, a framed lithograph of St. Peter's, and a smiling Asian: What's not to like?

P.S.: My uncle gave me an old "special edition" of Thriller for Christmas. I'm happy to get it just for the music, but it also contains a bunch of Quincy Jones interviews (AD, anyone?), and a voiceover recording session with Vincent Price, including the never before heard second verse.

Chilling.

Also: Jeff Beck?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, January 08, 2007, Blogger Josh said...

is it the one with him and the tiger cub

 
At 2:01 PM, January 08, 2007, Blogger hannah said...

i have rabies michael, you know this.

 
At 5:00 PM, January 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as Jeff Beck, "Shapes of Things" is a good song.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home