Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Spatula City

Christian "The Bionic Stark" Barnett, the new AP econ teacher, is so charming...

Bustling crowed: HOW CHARMING IS HE?

He's so charming, I'm a big fan, despite all the reasons why I shouldn't be.

He's an outspoken conservitive. Earlier in the year, he bragged constantly in class about the football team of Ohio State University, often engaging in protracted posturing with a student who supported the rival Michigan Wolverines. He has a ridiculous, clip-arty poster of GWB on his wall. In any discussion of economics in the real world, be it present day or historical, he is resolutely, amazingly, stupfyingly pro-American. Allow me to outline a few illuminating examples:
Stimulus: The Japanese economy is mentioned in a positive light.
Response: Japan was "almost wholly an American creation."

Stimulus: America's huge trade deficit.
Response: This makes for cheap goods, and the higher spending they trigger is actually a net positive for the economy.

Stimulus: The current reccession.
Response: The economy is recovering at record pace and more jobs have been created in the past 4 years than ever before, or something.

Stimulus: Unparalleled American growth in the 1990s.
Response: Ronald Regan was great.

So he's got all that going against him, and you know what? I like him. Whenever he trips up on a subject or has a mistake on a test (which are both perfectly understandable, considering how he's making the curriculum and writing the tests as we go along), I'm rooting for him. I watch Chris Dens and Logan bring up valid points when questioning Barnett's logic, and I just think "Man, shut up and roll with it."

Perhaps this is what George W. Bush is like in person. I think that would explain quite a bit of his success.

P.S.: I think that this example reflects a general shift in my attitude away from caring about politics.

P.P.S.: Nice picture from my aunt Sarah. Because nothing says "I love you" like used motel furniture.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, February 14, 2007, Blogger Comrade_Bazarov said...

I have to agree about the arguments raised by Logan and CD

 
At 11:22 PM, February 14, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

Well, Max, all of those economic points are true:

1. Japan basically became an American territory after WWII. Seriously.

2. There are many sides to this debate, and he picks a good pro. The weak dollar would be a good con.

3. It depends upon your definition of recession and your measurement of economic recovery. Both sides hold water depending upon what data they're looking at.

4. While Reaganomics did help the 90s, I'd say that the primary impetus to this growth was the advent of the Internet; don't thank Ronny, thank Al Gore. (That is, if you think creating a massive dot-com bubble and setting the world up for a dismal decline which happens to coincide with the worst terrorist attack in American history is something to be thankful for.)

 
At 11:37 PM, February 14, 2007, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

i experienced a similar shift. welcome to the bubble.

 
At 7:06 PM, February 15, 2007, Blogger Tom said...

that guy sounds awesome. granted, stark DID help me perfect my golf swing, but he always refused to break down into full-on, unabashed conservatism in class, despite my set-ups and loaded questions. I never liked that about him...

 
At 7:14 PM, February 15, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Houle:
I realize all his points are at least partially valid. I'm just saying that I'm not jumping on them in the usual rabid liberal fashion.

 
At 8:29 PM, February 15, 2007, Blogger Tom said...

also, i like the UHF reference.

 
At 10:22 PM, February 15, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

THANK YOU

Watch for some UHF clips in the near future.

 
At 2:09 AM, February 17, 2007, Blogger Tom said...

what a good movie. another instant classic snubbed by the academy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home