Monday, March 26, 2007

Five Point Palm Exploding Pug Technique

First day of tennis today. Despite my hopes up for some real hardass Drill Sgt. Bundy action, we actually spent most of the day hitting, very little of it running. Which is not to say that it didn't totally wipe me out, because it definitely did.

Man, pushing yourself athletically can really suck when you're doing it, but I actually enjoy being completely drained sometimes. It gives me a real sense of accomplishment. I'm never able to motivate myself enough if I'm just working out, so I only get that disgusting, sweaty, heat-strokey kind of exhaustion when I'm doing an organized sport.

Hard to believe I spent most of band considering dropping, eh? (What a twist!)

Yes, believe it or not, after I heard that a certain Andrew "Will Power" Kubas had decided to drop tennis so he could spend more time stroking his trumpet, I strongly considered giving up the tennis ghost, so to speak. However, I was quickly assured by knowledgeable parties that I could quit tennis and get a refund pretty much any time in the first couple of weeks, and I wanted to give it a shot, so I went to practice. I did wear my old beater shoes instead of the shiny new ones, though, just in case.

But things went well so I'm sticking with it, despite the t-shirts which, judging by their $30 price tag, are apparently made of dwarf-wrought mithril.


Dudes, I watched the first episode of this Planet Earth nature documentary, and it was quite good. One part in particular was un-fucking-believeable: check this shit out. My version was narrated by Sigourney Weaver, but this British dude is way better.
My sister got me UHF on DVD for my birthday (for about $1.65, if I recall correctly), and I finally got around to watching it yesterday. I enjoyed it (obviously), but I noticed a plot hole for the first time.

*SPOILER WARNING*
In case you're not familiar with the film, here's the deal: Al's rich uncle Tony wins a TV station in a poker game. He lets Al manage it, and it does very well, much to the consternation of the evil network affiliate boss R.J. Fletcher. When Tony gets in money trouble, however, and needs $75,000. R.J. offers him the money in exchange for the TV station (which he plans to bulldoze as soon as he owns it). Tony agrees, but says that he has to give Al a chance to raise the money first. Al puts on a telethon, attempting to sell 7500 shares of the company for $10 each. Now, obviously what happens is they sell enough shares and get the money and R.J. gets kicked in the nuts by an old lady. But here's my question: if the shares were being sold to the public, couldn't R.J. have just bought them all (or even 51%) and then bulldozed the station after he was the owner?
*END SPOILERS*

This sort of thing can really bother me sometimes.

Man this is turning out to be a rather long post. I guess that's what I get for letting my blog material build up.

Oh, and I got admitted to Carleton today. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, March 27, 2007, Blogger J0hn said...

Coach Whalen to Jeff Smith
What's wrong Smithy? Do you squat when you piss or something?

 
At 12:33 AM, March 28, 2007, Blogger matt said...

caddyshack

 

Post a Comment

<< Home