Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Something Wicker This Way Comes

Big ol' nerdfest the past couple of days.

First, on Tuesday, I traveled down to the moderately depressing St. Paul campus of the U of M for the Minnesota State Economics Challenge. I traveled with Garret Wedan, Tirth Patel, Chris Dens, and Christian Barnett, who, incidentally, will be leaving his teaching job next year to take a position as a broker with Edward Jones. He will be missed.

Here's how Econ Challenge works: There are three divisions, Adam Smith for A.P kids, David Ricardo for big school regular track, Some Token Broad for small school regular track. Everyone takes two 15 question MC tests on their own (micro, then macro), then the whole team takes one on international/current events. Scores are added (+10 for each correct, -5 for each incorrect), and the top two teams in each division move on to the "Quiz Bowl" portion to determine the winner.

I've gotta say, this went about as well as I could have hoped. My team did rather poorly (we didn't even qualify for the Quiz Bowl), so I don't have to devote any more time to fuckin econ challenge, but I snagged the individual high scorer award for the Adam Smith Division, and, courtesy of my combined one wrong/one blank on the micro/macro tests, I am now the "Minnesota Economics Student of the Year." In this honor I join such illustrious individuals as our own Jason Houle.

Then it was off to State KB, where we had fun bumming around Craguns, posted a 98, and took a satisfactory 13th out of about 25 teams.

Best question: "What crime is the following newspaper article referencing? 'I didn't want to draw attention to it,' said the businessman from the Deseret valley, "but I..."

BUZZ

Max (actually kind of yelling, now that I think about it): Dudes, Deseret is fuckin Utah, Utah is mormons, it's fucking polygamy!

Rest of the team: Umm....okay?

Max: POLYGAMY?

Reader: That's correct.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Alright can you guys see the awesome picture of houle or do I need to repost it?

 
At 10:28 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger swalker said...

that second thing

 
At 10:35 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

goddamnit

alright firefox is broken right now so I'll try again tommorow.

 
At 11:41 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

yeah, realllll bummer that pic's not up. it's a good 'un.

not

you get $100? and if you did, did barnett make you buy the team ice cream? cuz i won $100 and stark made me buy the team ice cream.

not that i wasn't glad to. but i mean, he basically mandated it. ahhh stark.

 
At 12:50 AM, April 19, 2007, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

pretty standard post-buzzer reaction. and if you got $100, you best be puttin that toward my birthday present. or at least $1.60 of it. i should have held off in telling you that part...

 
At 1:16 PM, April 19, 2007, Blogger Tay said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:19 PM, April 19, 2007, Blogger Tay said...

what? respectable? that is not respectable, that is entirely shameful.

let's look at something here...

last year's team:
tay stevenson
kara richard
logan mohs
sam walker
james voelker

result - tied for 8th

this year's team:
max kuehn
kara richard
logan mohs
sam walker
james voelker

result - 13

i think the x factor is pretty clear.

that said, good job.

 
At 4:57 PM, April 19, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Man I didn't get no $100. What a rip.

I can see the picture just fine now, I don't know what yer guys' problem is. And it IS a good 'un.

 
At 9:32 PM, April 19, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Houle you look fucking DEMONIC in that photo.

The twisted grin, the red eyes...it's just kinda infernal, okay?


Damn maya, yo b-day be comin right up, yo! What you what?

 
At 12:28 AM, April 20, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

Totally wearing Stark's dollar bills tie.

 
At 9:41 AM, April 20, 2007, Blogger hannah said...

Question:
What does Maya wan-

BUZZZZZZZZZ

ANSWER:
THIS.

 
At 3:50 PM, April 20, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Nice syntax there hannah.

But let's be real here: the essential Duran Duran is pretty much just a 40 minute loop of Hungry Like the Wolf.

Also, what maya really wants is a burned copy of the entire AD library...so I guess I"ll get crackin on that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home