Monday, April 02, 2007

V for Rejection; Part Deux: For Real This Time

Alright, no joking this time around, I promise.

Two envelopes on the kitchen table this afternoon, one large and purple with CONGRATULATIONS scrawled across it, the other reserved and concillitory with a small orange P in the upper lefthand corner. The bottom line: Come ths fall, I will not be attending Princeton University. Fuck those guys, am I right?

But seriously folks, as I've had to repeatedly assure my entire family, I'm not that broken up about it. I think I've been expecting this result, at least subconciously. I mean, that whole "results will be availible online on Thursday, March 29th" thing was real; I was just too nervous to follow the links. Now I am confronted with an uncomfortable decision, one which I hoped Princeton would preclude by admitting me: where the fuck am I going to go to college? For those of you keeping score at home, I have now been rejected by Princeton and accepted by the U of M, Carleton, Boston College, and Northwestern. Let's go down the line, shall we?

Boston College: I had honestly forgotten that I'd even applied at Boston before I got the acceptance letter. I applied in mid-January when I was being paranoid about not having applied to enough schools, and BC showed up on lists of good schools with good art history programs. Right now, I don't see myself going there; it's far away, and pricy, and while Northwestern is both of those things, it's also a much better school.

Carleton: This was another late application, but I'd say I'm much more likely to go here than BC. It's supposedly a very good school, and it's pretty close to home. A bit pricier than the U of M--Carleton won't quite meet 100% of my need. I'm going to visit later this month, which is good, considering I have until MAY GODDAMNED FIRST TO DECIDE.

Northwestern and the U of M: I'd say these are my top two contenders right now. I've spent quite a bit of quality time on both campuses. They're both reasonably close to home (although the U is much closer, obviously). Both are located by bitchin' cities and lots of water. Northwestern's advantages include higher prestige, a better art history program (as determined by these two thoroughly scientific studies [though I think those may be for graduate programs]), Barack Obama, and a sisterly endorsement about how awesome it is. The U has proximity, size (I kind of like the big school feel), football, terrific financial aid, a fine art history program, and, here's the tricky part, a bunch of friends.

Obviously college should involve making new friends. But is it neccesary to cut myself off entirely in order to force myself to make some new friends? Or could I handle maintaining current relationships and still finding motivation for starting new ones? I'm honestly not sure.




Commence pondering.......now!

P.S.: This is some heartfelt stuff. Grad speech?
P.P.S.: I want one please.

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

wtf. The Ivy League can collectively shove it.

As for friends, well, it will be something you have to do for yourself. I have plenty of friends here outside of the guys from Brainerd, but I still keep my relationships with those guys as well. I know people through classes, through church, through my dorm... none of my friendships are as solid as those I have with my old friends, of course, and I still see those guys a lot, but spending time with them hasn't horrendously crippled my ability to make new friendships. I'm still meeting new people all the time, and solidifying my new relationships, and still relying on the old ones that have been there half my life.

I do think that your worries about the U are quite valid - you need to prompt yourself to turn down the Brainerd gang in favor of meeting new people, especially at the very beginning when you're thrown together with a bunch of confused and awkward freshmen like yourself. If I regret anything about my college experience, it would be that I didn't take as great an advantage of those first few fresh weeks as I could have and should have, and have probably missed out on a good number of events and friendships that I would have otherwise had. It's taken a year's worth of catch-up in some ways, but at the same time I have a common bond with these people just because we see each other so often and in so many facets. At the same time, the need to be outgoing and open immediately upon arrival, right when you feel most vulnerable and alone and in need of a comfort zone, will be an essential wherever you go; the comfort zone will simply be a bit easier to find here at the U.

No matter what, your "college experience" will be primarily what you make it to be; your attitude will carry 90% of the weight of your opinion.

 
At 11:30 PM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

well dude, each of us has only had one experience, so i doubt anyone has real perspective on it. i've enjoyed my building a network here (everyone is in the same boat, you figure out a lot about yourself as you find what kinds of people you like to spend time with), and worked to maintain relationships at home. it can be hard, but it's an excellent transition into the real world, and a trial by fire.
just do what your heart tells you. it'll all work out.

 
At 11:33 PM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

basically, no matter where you go, you'll find some really cool people to hang out with - just be patient, they emerge gradually. but they're funnier and smarter and more pointed for success than you can imagine, and you'll be off your high horse before you know it.

 
At 12:28 AM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

completely agreed. i mean, take everything you hear with a grain of salt, my advice included.

 
At 12:56 AM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Pammy said...

I always thought I would go to college far away from everyone I know and make lots of neato friends and have a whole new life. Then I decided to go to the U in spite of my doubts about giving up the dream.
Then I got to school, and I couldn't figure out why it was so hard to find new friends. Then I realized that my friends were just better than the average bears. There just isn't anyone else better out there.

P.S. I miss you.

 
At 12:04 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger J0hn said...

"Then I got to school, and I couldn't figure out why it was so hard to find new friends."

eh eh eh eh.

 
At 1:11 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Josh said...

if you are worried that you won't make any friends at the u, i wouldn't be worried. everyone sucks for the most part. but more importantly, all of us will be living in apartments and so it's not like we are going to be up in your shit stifling you in your dorm, you know? if you want to make friends it's not that hard. but will you really want to?

ps. nw sounds pretty cool too, i don't know how much you guys get into chicago there but that seems neat.

 
At 2:43 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger bundy said...

congratulations on northwestern; fuck the ivy league - you're only paying for a name in those 8 cases. go to a REAL fucking prestigious college that doesn't include any of that ivy league bullshit.

bundy's first vote - northwestern
bundy's second vote - U of M

 
At 4:43 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

you know which college is most overrated? Johns Hopkins.

and while I have found out just how great my old friends really are, there are cool people at the U, especially in the honors programs. don't let mattson's crotchety old man nature tell you otherwise.

 
At 5:16 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

johns hopkins is, their med school is not.

 
At 7:07 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Tay sent me an email with his advice. Because I'm a nice guy I won't post it all.

Here's a brief summary:

"I am very full of myself.

Go to Northwestern."


Thanks, tay.

 
At 7:12 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Tay said...

that is not even close to an adequate summary. my summary:

"fuck princeton.

make new friends.

go to northwestern.

p.s. fuck princeton."

 
At 7:14 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

alright, I guess I should have included a couple more "fuck Princton"s, but otherwise I stand by my summary.

 
At 7:55 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger swalker said...

That poster is even more lame than your explanation made it sound.

 
At 7:57 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Sam: why so grumpy tonight?

 
At 8:13 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger keuber said...

d-d-d-desi and the jetssss!

 
At 10:22 PM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Josh said...

i was going to make a motion to pre-emptively ban tay from posting in this comment thread but it seems i am too late

 
At 12:01 PM, April 04, 2007, Blogger J0hn said...

do whatever you want, maaaan. it will work out for the best either way.

 
At 6:22 PM, April 04, 2007, Blogger bundy said...

i'll pretend you didn't say that, houle

 
At 10:48 PM, April 04, 2007, Blogger Ben Abrahamse said...

Go to Carleton. It's small and rural, and you will get your groove on with smart hippies and such like.

 
At 11:17 PM, April 04, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

alright ben c. hammer, I really can't trust you with a mysterious name like that, awesome though it may be.

 
At 2:20 AM, April 05, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

i actually may or may not get a degree in the future from Johns Hopkins. in education nonetheless.

of course that's still highly TBD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home