Monday, July 10, 2006

I Was Stabbed By Satan

Hot damn, was I ever wrong. This blog is as jumping as ever!

So, Canada: I had a great time at the Winnipeg Folk Fest. Spent some quality time with the cousins and saw some great bands. My favorites:

Hawksley Workman: Not only is his name "Hawksley Workman," he's also quite entertaining. His description in the ridiculously complimentary but nonetheless charming guide to festival performers (Everyone over 40 is a living legend, under 40 is the next big thing. Every performer's musical style is a something-infused blend of something and something else.) says far more about him than I ever could:
"His songs are sensual studies in lyrical decadence and melodic grace, delivered by a voice so vast that it can alternately rattle the sky or whisper to the wind."
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Tons Of Fun University (T.O.F.U.): This one was special. Two big fat guys, both former National Poetry Jam champions, perform funny, often heartwarming poems over beats provided by a badass beatboxer. Better than it sounds, trust me...

K'naan: A Somoli-born rapper, I was unsure what to think about him at first. He is described as "one of Canadian hip-hop's most profound and thoughtful voices," which made me worry that he would just be a whiny peacenik. I made plans to see all his performances and caught exactly none of them, but I decided to take a chance and bought his album. And woulnd't you know it, he kicks ass. He's got such a smooth flow and kickin' beats he can make warlords and water shortages danceable.

Overall, there was some great music and some not so great music (think "Return of the Estro-jam" and "One Fiddle To Rule Them All"), but mostly just a splendid time for all.

Oh, and there were two acts that made me think of Sam Walker: Tagaq, a crazy throat singer from Nunavut who has (drumroll please)..."collaborated with experimental diva Bjork"! Plus, she performed with a guy on a powermac who swayed back and forth as he mixed the song together on the fly. I think we've found the career for Sam. Also very walkeresqe was That 1 Guy, who more than made up for his dumb name with his uniqely troffler-friendly performances. He performed solo with his homemade, 7-foot-high, two-stringed instrument. It's covered in buttons and strings and microphones, allowing him to sort of create techno-songs on the fly. And let me tell you, he was all over that thang. I have a feeling Sam would have troffled all over the place if he'd been there to see it.

P.S.: AP scores are in. Chem 5 Art 5 Lit 4. Very happy, satisfied, disappointed, respectively.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, July 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question. What is Sam's little sisters name?

 
At 1:03 AM, July 11, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

Hey asshole, you're not getting any personal information about my family if you don't even have the dignity to sign your name.

Tagaq plays a very big part on Björk's album Medúlla, and I do indeed think she's awesome.

My APs are the inverse of yours: 5 Lit, 4 Art, 4 Chem (and then 4 gov). I guess I was dissapointed with my Art score, but I can see how it was due to a few strategic major fuckups and I certainly don't find it undeserved. And, it's pretty much cancelled out by my holy-shit-I-not-only-passed-but-actually-got-a-pretty-good-score 4 in chem. I guess I would have liked a 5 in Gov, but I certainly am satisfied with my 4 seeing as my amount of preperation was absolutely zero (I opened the study guide for the first time ten minutes before taking the test, and most of the key chapters I had neither read nor taken the tests on until after the AP test).
I'm glad for my five in Lit, as that was the only test I had made any guarantees to people about my earning of a five.

 
At 1:39 AM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

I got 5 Chem, 4 Lit(2005), no shame there. Chem was a pretty easy test, I'm really glad I didn't take it last year.

I think Holbrook hit a 5 in Gov(2005) with me, but I'm still waiting for someone else to join our elite club.

anonymous, I'm sure you could find the name somewhere.

 
At 10:05 AM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Hillstorm said...

Sam, what did you get in apush?

 
At 12:49 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I got a 4 in bio, my only AP Class this year, and was quite disapointed because I had a 5 on every practice test.

 
At 1:22 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger the dain train said...

i passed apush with a 3.

 
At 1:28 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

I got a 5 in APUSH

 
At 10:28 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

I basically got a 7 in AP us history, but the test was easy enough that a few other people sqeaked by with 5s.

 
At 12:14 AM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Hillstorm said...

I remember you, max, when you only got about 3 wrong in the practice test. I didn't know you at all at the time, but basically my thoughts were somewhere along the line, "Fuck him, stupid bastard... I mean smart bastard... sigh."

I remember that you were in my chemistry class, and I realized that you were also pretty gifted there too. Then I found out that you were from Mississippi Horizons and I wondered how in hell you were smart.

And those were my thoughts about you as a sophomore... besides the obvious fact that you had huge hair.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home