Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I'm Pretty Sure I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

So I just finished On The Road, and my inevitable Dean Moriarty/Josh Mattson comparison felt strongest in this one line:

"One morning he stood naked, looking at all San Francisco out the window as the sun came up. He looked like someday he'd be the pagan mayor of San Francisco."

This could be a perfect fit.

(note:I found this item using Google Book Search, a tool that up until now I did not know existed, but that apparently contains a whole bunch of books, scanned in page by page? Sam Walker, you should know about this. Enlighten me.)

P.S.: Today's featured article on Wikipedia was on Velociraptors. Good times.

P.P.S.: Kubas, please explain further about the food booth at the fair, I think I lost your email.

P.P.P.S.:Um, is there basketball at the Y this Saturday? When? I'm not real clear on that.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

SATURDAY. 3:00 PM. YMCA

 
At 12:08 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

im going to eat so much food tonight at the meeting


im hungry

 
At 12:14 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

What are you going to do, order extra celery with your snow peas?

 
At 12:23 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger keuber said...

max,

make sure you have from 7:00-11:00 PM off on august 2nd.

'nuff said.

 
At 12:40 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

What meeting is this?

Yeah, Google Books has been around for awhile, though I kind of forgot about it until now.At first it was just going to be stuff in the public domain, but then they started scannning copyrighted material and some authors' group sued them for copyright infringement, to which their reply was basically "fuck you" (which I thoroughly approve of). They also have these sweet book-scanning robots (well, so much as a book-scanning robot can be sweet).

 
At 6:15 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Hillstorm said...

Sick.

Sam, why?

 
At 8:15 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

Um, because?

??

 
At 11:58 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Sam seems to be doubting the awesomeness of book scanning robots.

While they may not be as inherently cool as tree-cutting or ocean draining robots, I think they're still pretty neat.

 
At 1:00 AM, July 13, 2006, Blogger CoachDub said...

I'm with you on the robots, Max. Let's just hope that the ocean-draining robots don't go all A.I. on us.

 
At 12:09 PM, July 13, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

We all know Sam has a beef with copyrights and patents.

Anybody read Catcher in the Rye? I couldn't help but draw a Josh Mattson/Holden Caulfield analogy.

 
At 7:22 PM, July 13, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Wait, were there seriously ocean draining robots in AI? Seems like I might have remembered that...

 
At 1:33 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger CoachDub said...

No, no, no. I just meant that I hope that any robot with such immense powers does not try to take over, or in other words, go all A.I.

But I will admit that I thought of that movie because of your phrase "ocean-draining." Not because there were ocean-draining robots because there were robots on the botttom of the ocean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home