Monday, October 16, 2006

Be Faithful

So my dad got a packet of vaguely interesting but essentially boring information from his dad, concerning the Kuehn family heritage. Apparently we trace our ancestry back to a gentleman named William "The Lion" Vance. He lived in England, was captured by the French, and oppressed some Irish folk; in other words, he led a pretty good life. There was some other boring stuff (The name Vance is derived from an Old-English word meaning a marsh or fen...), but here's the good part:

That's right, it's my own personal coat of arms. Hell, two of them. Now, I realize that some of you have made your own coats of arms in the past, with like a soccer ball and a slice of pizza on them, but these are REAL coats of arms. I could enter a goddamn jousting tourney with one of these things.

My only real problem is which one I should use. The one on the right has the neat "old man's head proper, helmet azure" crest, but I think that one would be hard to draw. And all those triangles? A little too Buckminster Fuller for my tastes.

I'm thinking lefty would be better. The shield is simple and neat, and the crest is waaay cool: a lion rampant, holding a scale. I might have to get a signet ring with that on it. I can use it to seal all my correspondence, and all my non-noble acquaintances can kiss it when I pass.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, October 16, 2006, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

we really couldn't be any cooler.

 
At 11:30 PM, October 16, 2006, Blogger swalker said...

Psh. We got my family crest at disneyworld years ago. My surname comes from the guy who stomped grapes to make wine.

Also, the right one is way more awesome. And how is that lion easier to dray than a grid of diamonds?

 
At 11:32 PM, October 16, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

Sam the lion is easier to draw than the old man's head.

And a diagonal bar with three stars is waaay less work than those damn triangles.

 
At 11:48 PM, October 16, 2006, Blogger hannah said...

hey maybe your ancestors oppressed my ancestors.

isn't that what america is about?

 
At 1:38 PM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

I think five generations ago my family's name was "Hould." Definite French-Canadian roots.

So I guess the Houlds have the upper hand on the Vances, eh?

 
At 3:03 PM, October 17, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

my lineage is one of the proud cherokee nation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home