Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Seen And Not Seen

Had a rather surreal tennis match today.

We were at Tech, in their secondary facility, near some shitty middle school. Sounds mild-mannered, I know, but trust me: things were rather eerie up in there.

First of all, the wind was blowing a steady 25 mph, gusting to about 35 or so, and the middle school building is either A: haunted or B: specially designed to funnel any wind into a haunting wail.

The wind also served to carry a mysterious hammering sound from the nearby basesball complex. Thanks to the ridiculous 12 foot granite wall surrounding said complex, I was forced to walk a short ways to get a view of what was going on: a stone structure was being demolished by an enormous excavator with some sort of jackhammer attachement on the end of its arm. It was very cool. I stood there and watched it for about 30 seconds while it hammered away and dust swirled about it.

Finally, the tennis courts also abutted the local fire department, which, for some reason, apparently has its communication system wired to an outdoor loudspeaker. So as we played we got to hear some dispatchers talking about sending out trucks and calling in squad cars.

Oh, and I won my match; talk about surreal.

(Yes, I had planned out that line before I played. If I would have lost I would have written "Well, at least one thing was normal; I lost my match.")

P.S.: I got a mysterious letter from John Ward today, congratulating me for graduating from high school. Did anybody else get one of these things?

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, May 15, 2007, Blogger swalker said...

you think youre sooooo special.

yes, we all got them.

 
At 5:59 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Comrade_Bazarov said...

Count me in as well

On a different note, here is a suggestion: why not change the title of this post to "seen and the unforeseen?"

if you are an avid reader of contemporary fiction, you will know where i got the title from.

 
At 8:03 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Koreann said...

I got a letter from John Ward congratulating me for getting Fine Arts Student of the Week a while back. . . i totally thought about framing it, but it seemed rather creepy.
Congrats on winning.

 
At 8:54 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Well tirth if you are an avid listener of the talking heads you'll know where I got my title from.


Yeah koreann, the kids were in like 7th grade. It wasn't really very much fun. Plus, I was playing with Kyle Smith, Jeff Smith's little brother.

 
At 9:25 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

maaaaaaaaaaax i didn't even read your post i have a story - i'm at work and this kid just walked in to return a tape player and i didn't see him til he was walking way but he looked exactly like you but really skinny. i shit you not it looked like he was wearing that dark blue sweatshirt you have and jeans you would wear and big tennis shoes and he had your hair and glasses and our nose and i'm currently very very weirded out. as in, very.

 
At 9:26 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

and now i see your post is also about surreal experiences.
i also walked out of my apartment today into the sunshine and pouring rain, always surreal, and enjoyed the bigass rainbow over lake michigan.
come visit this summer, k?

 
At 9:59 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Hillstorm said...

i got one

 
At 10:39 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

It rained on me in the sunshine today while I was walking over to brainerd.


Maya where do you work?

 
At 10:58 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

i work at the Multimedia Learning Center http://web.mmlc.northwestern.edu/

a mac computer lab in the basement of kresge hall, the languages, art, and general classroom building on south campus. you may think it's strange that i, who have zero mac experience, am a consultant at this lab, but hey - turns out they'll hire anyone. plus it pays 7.50 and you can do homework and be on the internet the entire time. i could probably get you a job there if you want... mera and elise and i all work there.

 
At 11:08 PM, May 16, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Man that sounds better than lost lake....breakfast shifts at least.

 
At 10:36 AM, May 19, 2007, Blogger Shelty said...

I got a letter from Ward, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home