Friday, May 11, 2007

Tipping Is Not A City In China

Alright, it's been a while since I rapped to ya, and what with my coal-miner-like work schedule and pile of homework/studying to do, it'll probably be a healthy spell before I get back and spill again. BUT I think today's experience warrents staying up a few more minutes.

So I was driving the trusty ol' Lincoln to work this afternoon, listening to my Power Loon driving mixtape (it's like the greatests songs the Power Loon would ever play, back to back to back). When I stopped at the Wise Road, getting ready to turn right onto 371, I noticed my car was vibrating; not enough to shake me around, but enough to get my mirrors really shaking. I thought little of it, but when I tried to accerlate out onto the highway, I ended up drifting off to the side of the road instead. The mighty Lincoln was dead.

With my mom on a long walk and my dad running errands, I knew that the parentals were not going to be my speediest option for a ride to work. So, I called my grandma up and described my predicament. Being a good grandma, she set out to pick me up.

Normally I would have been proud of myself for being so resourceful. This afternoon, however, Fortuna decided to screw around with me a little bit. Moments after I got off the phone with my grandma, a co-worker happened to stop, waiting to turn right onto 371, and asked if I needed a ride.

Now, my grandma is a good grandma, and I love her very much, but while I wouldn't call her a technophobe, she doesn't exactly have a subscription to Wired; nor, for that matter, does she own a cell phone. Therefore, I couldn't exactly accept another ride--my grandma would come eventually, see the abandoned Lincoln and no beloved grandson, and before you'd know it we'd have an Amber Alert on our hands. In seeking to free myself from my broken down car, I'd effectively anchored myself to it. Oh, sweet irony. I politely turned her down.

That would have been bad enough. But I got to turn down not one, but TWO more ride offers in the 20 minutes it took my grandma to arrive (she'd ended up on the wrong side of the highway; to be fair, my directions had been pretty vague.): One from Megan Saley's mom Char, a former co-worker, and another from a nattily attired Stuart Lade, dressed in his Sunday best, headed for a wedding in his olive green Saab.

Fuckin' ridiculous.

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, May 11, 2007, Blogger Koreann said...

The effing TRUSTFUL LINCOLN that we spoke of just Tuesday night??? How dare it.

OOOOOH. I love this story.
Tell it to your children's children for it will be a classic in the Kuehn household.

How the eff does that happen?!?
I can't believe it.

 
At 12:52 AM, May 12, 2007, Blogger Jason said...

lade stopped. that is ridiculous.

 
At 12:12 PM, May 12, 2007, Blogger matt said...

i would ran away with lade

 
At 5:29 PM, May 12, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Yeha, screw you grandma.

I'm going to a WEDDING.

 
At 8:41 PM, May 12, 2007, Blogger swalker said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:42 PM, May 12, 2007, Blogger swalker said...

Dude I'm sorry but this is a situation in which one's commitment to one's grandmother is trumped how could you possibly pass up the opportunity to go cruisin' with stu?

 
At 9:52 PM, May 12, 2007, Blogger Pammy said...

DAMN MAX.

Mr. Lade HISSELF!?

i actually agree with both sam AND matt at the same time...

 
At 9:52 PM, May 12, 2007, Blogger Pammy said...

actually, it's a miracle that sam agrees with ANYONe, EvER.

maybe my mom is right, the END IS LOOMING!

 
At 10:50 PM, May 12, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Man Lade was well dressed. It was like a cream colored suit with a loud tie and some sweet shades.

 
At 10:59 PM, May 12, 2007, Blogger Kelsi said...

That is hilarious...not about the car, but in concensus with everybody else about Lade.

Notice the rising celebrity status of Lade?

 
At 12:28 AM, May 13, 2007, Blogger swalker said...

woah woah woah woah waoh

SWEET SHADES?

My previously stated opinion has now been upgraded by 1000.

 
At 1:49 AM, May 13, 2007, Blogger J0hn said...

max. you are a huge noob.

 
At 12:13 PM, May 13, 2007, Blogger hannah said...

thats kind of incredible

 
At 1:03 PM, May 13, 2007, Blogger Maya Kuehn said...

haaaaaaaaahahahhahahhaha
lade
hahahhaha
love it! grandma would have understood, man. did you at least get his digits? i bet he'd hang out with you.

 
At 7:57 PM, May 13, 2007, Blogger bundy said...

i love cows

 
At 7:47 AM, May 14, 2007, Blogger Koreann said...

noob?

 
At 9:12 PM, May 14, 2007, Blogger CoachDub said...

Lade was on his way to the same wedding I went to.
He was indeed a sharp dressed man.

 
At 10:00 PM, May 14, 2007, Blogger constant_k said...

Who was getting married?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home