Friday, August 11, 2006

Andrew Kubas: Champion

At approx. 9:36 last night, I recieved a call on my cell phone as I drove home from work. The small screen on the front was lit up with the phase "Call from: Jen Den." Hmm, I thought, I wonder what Jennifer is calling about so late? I flipped the phone open with my teeth and said "Hello?"

"Max."
"Yeah?"
"We got the megaphone."

I immediately remembered what was special about the evening Thursday, August 10th: Andrew Kubas, Jennifer, and Gracia and Jake Folkeringa were cleaning out the music uniform room at the High School. Work had driven the thought from my mind, but Jennifer refreshed my memory right quick by mentioning the megaphone. Kubas and I have coveted it for about two years now, giggling about it while marching band uniforms were passed out. It was Kubas who spoke next.

"Max, you need to see all the stuff we stole. Are you home?"

I had them meet me (and the rest of the treasure hunt committee) at my house. Kubas showed off his plunder, including a few awesome looking old marching band uniforms, ca. 1991, 4 jumbo tins of honey roasted peanuts, and a brand new electric staple gun. And, of course, the coup de` grace: the megaphone. It's an 8 pound stainless steel monster, complete with detachable microphone (it's kind of like a police radio thing). There were some battery issues, but after only about 5 minutes, Matt Capelle got it to emit an earsplitting siren for about 3 seconds. After that, it was all gravy. Loud, crackly gravy.

While we looked over all the other stuff they "obtained" while cleaning, I asked Kubas who got the megaphone. He said it was for me.

For me. Mine. My own. My Precious.

Seriously though, this is possibly the greatest gift I've ever recieved. Well, I did get some pretty sweet transformers one Christmas. But the megaphone is right up there.

There's so much to do with it. I can break up riots, organize riots, yell at sophmores on band tour, holler at treasure hunters, heckle referees, and even attach it to the top of my car, take the mic in through my window, and drive across the country to promote a concert to raise money for the orphanage that I grew up in. The possibilities are endless.

P.S.: We're doing one more treasure hunt this summer, August 25th. Check it out here, please.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, August 11, 2006, Blogger keuber said...

i'm a fan of the title of this post...

but you forgot about the cumberland. by far the most important thing.

 
At 10:50 PM, August 11, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

HOLY CRAP! 20,000 HITS

 
At 2:02 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger keuber said...

sir kurt of westershire,

welcome back.

by the way, we should hit up the Y some time. anyone?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home