Sunday, August 27, 2006

Dream Big!

I'm writing this instead of a scholarship app essay. Good for me!

Kubas and I rolled out of town at 8 this morning, bound for glory and the State Fair. On the ride down, Kubas' crippled iPod somehow kept up the tunes for almost the entire trip, enough time for plenty of Stevie Wonder, Mambo Italiano, Chuck Mangionie, and Birdland. It eventually conked out, but we had a backup in the form of my iPod and an old stray speaker I found. Not tons of volume, but enough power to get us through to our parking spot with some Clarence Carter and Nuclear Balloon Arrows.

Fair Food Facts--
Items Consumed:
1. Pancake-sized, deep-fried pork patty overflowing a large bun
2. Small lemonade
3. Kiwanis chocolate malt
4. Bottled water
5. Foot long corndog
6. Root Beer
Analysis: There is an unspoken rule at the Minnesota State Fair: every day you attend the fair, you must eat at least one ridiculous food item. The dinner plate-sized pork patty filled my requirment for today. Kubas joined me in only the malt and root beer purchases. My only on-a-stick item of the day, the corndog, has resulted in an unfortunate bout of stomach cramps and uncontrollable flatulance. My valve has closed. Wish me luck.

Highlights:
  • Kubas and I watched some of an excellent 4-H production entitled "Dream Big!" We stayed long enough to hear the title track (a guitar, vocalist ballad duet) and a marvelously awkward version of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing."
  • We saw the largest boar in Minnesota. He weighed 1040 pounds. His name was corndog.
  • A man passing on the street complimented my Manly Mustaches shirt. Yessss.
  • The U of M marching band was terrific. We socialized with Jacob and Jennifer and watched all the sections tune and the drummers warm up. The performance was in parade fashion, so Kubas and I ran alongside to catch all the songs. I'll leave the more exact descriptions to Kubas, but we both decided that we didn't really see ourselves marching one year from today.
  • Deprived of any sort of iPod music on the drive home, we were at the mercy of local radio stations. Of course it was the Power Loon that eventually came through with Money For Nothing, timed perfectly with the sunset. I wrote a post once about rocking out to that song while driving. You should go find it.
All done with this post. Oh goodness, now I have nothing to do but write that essay. Oh wait, I got high speed yesterday! I can spend the next several hours watching YouTube videos! That was a close one.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, August 27, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

here's that old post about Money for Nothing.

Ooooh, HTML.

 
At 11:20 PM, August 27, 2006, Blogger Josh said...

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

 
At 1:06 PM, August 28, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

How much you gonna charge for those pearls of wisdom, chief?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home