Sunday, September 10, 2006

Life Goes On

Know what's kind of neat? Physics.

Yes, I’ve had one of my trademark changes of heart (that was a Mr. Burns line, for the unwashed who haven’t memorized the Burns-buys-the-Simpsons’-greyhound-puppies-to-make-a-tuxedo-out-of-them episode). I was finishing my physics homework (several problems concerning velocity, acceleration, electricity, fog, jump rope, Elvis Costello, and love [love really is the strongest force known to man. Seriously, the equation for the position an object in love is like initial velocity X time + acceleration X time squared + love X time to the eighth power. Love just blows everything else away. Unless if time<1, because then love is basically meaningless.]) when I realized how interesting the problems were. I’d moved beyond the this-is-really-hard block and entered the this-is-kind-of-neat zone. These 3 or 4 little equations could tell me all sorts of things if I plugged in the right numbers in the right order. I actually did an extra problem just for fun.

This was one of those times when the elegance and clear-cut minimalism of pure science appealed to me. If the right numbers go in, the right numbers come out, and everything fits together, clean and simple. No ambiguity about meaning or theme, no individual opinions about symbolism or narrator reliability, no “most correct” answers. Normally I’m all about the literate discussion and the debating points and the multiple layers, and, you know, art in general. But sometimes I just want to pick my equations, plug in my numbers, write down my answer, and have it marked right or wrong. I guess that’s just the simple-minded conservative in me.

P.S.: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/helicopter.shtml
Current high score:1754. Beat that, bitches.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, September 10, 2006, Blogger jobble said...

1854 baby

 
At 4:29 PM, September 10, 2006, Blogger keuber said...

'tis impossible for this mustache to break 800.

isn't that sad?

did everyone get their ADMIN priv back? or is blogger still screwy?

 
At 5:34 PM, September 10, 2006, Blogger sherlock said...

DAMN. 1710

 
At 7:33 PM, September 10, 2006, Blogger Kelsi said...

764 and a lot of time wasted.

 
At 7:42 PM, September 10, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

josiah you lie

 
At 9:34 PM, September 10, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

kubas you're way in the lead on the "who should grow the fro" poll.

 
At 9:48 PM, September 10, 2006, Blogger jobble said...

you sit on a throne of lie max

 
At 11:17 PM, September 10, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

7.

jeez, I hope I never have to fly a helicopter through a two-dimensional obstacle course in real life.

 
At 12:02 AM, September 11, 2006, Blogger The Clarinet Goddess said...

hey! you guys linked to our blog! yay! though I don't quite understand why you can't keep up with us... I can follow it just fine... O.o

 
At 4:00 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger Erik said...

After wasting an hour of my life, 1797.

 
At 4:30 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

1786 now, and houle, it isn't even possible to get less than 19.

 
At 8:31 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

The Stats Homework tonight is killing me

 
At 8:50 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger constant_k said...

NOPE i got a six and I deserved it. I did get a "voice" and a smiley face though.

The 9 went to Terth (sp?), the Indian transfer by way of California. Smart motherfucker.

 
At 9:32 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger keuber said...

KURT--2 FLICKLING/FRICKING/FRUCKING/TRUCKIN' HOURS.

dang, pelk is a beast.

 
At 9:59 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger Jason said...

I always got 7s and 8s because my voice was lacking. Niemi once told me that my writing voice was like Ben Stein, but a Ben Stein who was three-fourths anti-social cyborg with a head cold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home